Wednesday, February 03, 2010


XR #69


Finally. It's been formatted, printed, collated, stapled, stuffed into envelopes, and dropped off at the post office.

Why can't a hardcopy zine be as easy as a blog post, just some typing, proofreading, and with a touch of a button, it's published and distributed?

When I started the Ray X X-Rayer it was a lot of fun. But I'm spoiled by blogging, especially when I don't have to worry about so many pages to be filled, margins, lay out, all the restrictions I have with paper. The main restriction I have online -- a self-imposed one -- is trying to be concise, keeping my posts around 500 words.

This time around I took a somewhat different approach. Instead of just reprinting blog posts into a zine format, the latest XR is semi-original. Some of the material is new and the rest is re-written as needed. This makes it easier to fit my stuff into the confines of a hardcopy format.

XR #69 is available as a PDF file over at www.xrayer.com . So you can read it onscreen or print it out.

Now it's time to write about the Uncommon and the Unusual, instead of bitching about hardcopy zining or computer problems.

3 comments:

X. Dell said...

The zine looks great.

Ray Palm (Ray X) said...

ThanX. I think you're referring to the PDF version over at xrayer.com, right? I finally got a handle on how to convert a Word document into PDF with minimal trouble.

X. Dell said...

I just you primo, to print, and either Word, Paint or Serif-Plus for text and graphic overlays.

Still, it does look great.