Thursday, April 08, 2010


XR #71

It's up at http://www.xrayer.com -- the latest edition of my zine, The Ray X X-Rayer (PDF file). XR #71 features posts from this blog in a convenient-to-print format. There is some new material in the intro, a couple of items I haven't written about here. So before they get too old -- and before I forget -- here are those items...


Hot Gas, Northern Lights & UFOS

Ever see the Northern Lights? When the sun is active it throws off a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) that hits the earth's magnetic field and -- Voila! -- the aurora is produced. (Good thing I proofread this stuff. I had written "Viola!")

Over at her blog, The Orange Orb, Regan Lee discussed the sighting of a triangular UFO one night in West Linn, Oregon. The observer contacted local media but was unable to speak to any live people except one at a TV station. The station employee replied "that's kind of funny that you'd report that today because it's the Spring Equinox and you could have seen a reflection from the Northern Lights."

As I mentioned in my comment at Regan's blog, the sun has been quiet until recently, not many sunspots. I wondered if the Northern Lights were active that night. If they were, from what I've seen of them south of the Canadian border, they're usually not that bright to reflect off anything. Maybe the TV station employee meant to say the aurora was "reflecting" off the earth's atmosphere. Either way, the witness saw a solid object. While I didn't know if he actually saw an alien craft, the aurora explanation didn't wash.

As for the Spring Equinox and Northern Lights connection -- that makes as much sense as saying "It's Easter and what you saw is a meteor." Just like meteor showers and holidays, the aurora isn't dependent on the Spring Equinox.

Another comparison: The first day of spring doesn't mean sunny skies and warm temps immediately start. I've seen it snow around here in May.

If you're going to give explanations, try to at least make them based in real science, not in half-science.

In a follow up post Regan compares the Northern Lights explanation to the old swamp gas disinfo. Me, the aurora explanation is like a CME -- a lot of hot gas.


Liberty Net Online


As I just mentioned in the prior item, the sun has been really quiet until recently. Not only does it result in the lack of Northern Lights, it also means usually lousy shortwave reception. When the sun isn't sleeping, sunspots are frequent and SW conditions are improved.

For years I've followed a gathering of superpatriot ham radio operators in the 75 meter band, LSB (lower sideband mode). They usually meet on Saturday nights, kicking off at around 10 PM EST. The last couple of weeks I've barely picked them up on 3.953 MHz.

So I Googled and found an audio stream for the Lib Net at http://www.stickam.com/TheLibertyNet . It sure beats listening to faint voices and static.

Be advised that a few of the Lib Netters express bigoted / racially insensitive views. I don't agree with most of their views; I track them to hear what's getting the superpatriot community so riled up lately. (Health care, anyone?)


1 comment:

X. Dell said...

Ray, thanks. A lot of good stuff to click on, here. Hmm. Think I'll start off with Ms. Lee, and end with the latest edition of the X-Rayer.

I've heard previously of explanations linking the Northern Lights to UFO sightings. Even if that were the case, a solid object is still a solid object.

I'm always curious as to what the "superpatriots" (I have another name for them, but that's beside the point) are up to. So I can appreciate posting broadcast shows online. Seems like that wouldn't be too much of a hassle, either. You record the show on audiotape, convert it to an mp3 file with Audacity, and--Violin!--you have a podcast.