Monday, February 25, 2013

19 & Counting


Back in February 1994 I didn't bother to note the publication date of the first issue of my zine, Ray X X-Rayer. I just say it debuted on Groundhog Day.

I started my zine as something to do during another long insufferable winter. I was learning how to use the latest computers with mouses and windows through practical means: wordprocessing and layout. It was a way to keep my mind active instead of letting it be damaged by hibernation rot.

I struggled with a program called PageMaker to format each issue. It was tricky learning how to format columns with "windowshades." Those windowshades had to be pulled up and down just right with the mouse. Now I just get along with Microsoft Word, a simpler way of doing the same thing (No shades, daddy-o). While the computer part has become easier, the writing half is still sometimes a struggle.

If you told me back in 1994 I would still be producing the same zine, I would've been surprised. And if you told me I would still be stuck in Plattsburgh (Ugh!), NY – well, the less said about that the better. (Did you ever see the movie Groundhog Day?)

Should be interesting to see if I make it to Ray X X-Rayer #100.

2 comments:

X. Dell said...

(1) Many happy returns.

(2) So, did the zine see its shadow this year?

(3) I remember PageMaker, and Quark. Ah, the good ol' days, when 20 megs of memory were enough for anyone.

Doug said...

Zine #100 will be beamed directly into our brains. It probably won't be easier to layout, however.