Monday, October 26, 2015

Forget Waldo - Where's Nick Pope?



Are you in there Nick?  I can hear you… 


Good interview, crap video.

I click the remote control to watch another segment included in the DVD “Aliens, Abductions, & Extraordinary Sightings.”  This one is entitled “The U.K. UFO Sightings.”

This segment jumps right into a sit down interview without IDing the interviewee.  I recognize UFO Researcher Nick Pope from photographs seen online and in magazines.  For those viewers unfamiliar with him, tough luck.  You’ll have to look for clues in the interview.

Nick discusses his experience working for the U.K. Ministry of Defence’s UFO Project.  Unlike some UFO personalities Nick is rational, neither a true believer nor diehard skeptic.  It’s the first time I’m seen a video interview with him.

Unfortunately whoever edited this interview decided the average viewer suffers from limited attention.  The attention of such a viewer will wander unless you draw him back in with some visual tricks.


Gesundheit!  (Better see the doc about that nosebleed.

I don’t mind if a talking head segment runs on for a while.  Now if someone wants to show a photo or newspaper article to break up the generally static visual of the interviewee sitting in a chair, OK, no problem.  But I don’t want to be distracted by LSD inspired visuals, especially when they obliterate the interviewee’s presence.

The editor on this project was itching to use his new EFX program.  Suddenly some gooey gold stuff flows over the screen, an image that has nothing to do with the subject matter.  At another point Nick keeps gallantly talking on in the background while spreading red spots dominate the foreground.  (Space measles?)   And if that isn’t impressive, satellites fly over Nick’s face, hellfire obscures his image  -- enough, I can’t go on.

My advice: Watch the interview with the visual turned off.  It works much better as radio.

Hey, kids!  The interviewer is Alley Oop. (Oop, Oop, Oop..)


“You got peanut butter in my Nick Pope.”
“And you got Nick Pope in my peanut butter!”


Suffering from the burning itch of hemorrhoids?  Try Tucks medicated pads.

3 comments:

Doug said...

Ray, are you paying attention again? You're so retro.

X. Dell said...

Interesting. It's almost as if the production really wanted to color what Pope said in more ways than one.

BTW, I agree with your assessment of Pope. I'm sure the show simply wanted to add credibility to his perspective.

(Ahem!)

Ray Palm (Ray X) said...

Doug: Paying attention is my curse for others to bear.

X. Dell: I've only glanced at other parts of the DVD set and there seems to be another interview with Nick Pope but one with pellucid visuals.